Monday, February 27, 2017

Iditarod 2017

The Iditarod is coming up really soon! I'm super excited! The ceremonial start is on Saturday, March 4th, and the re-start is on March 5th. The Iditarod is a sled dog race that takes place in Alaska each year that starts on the first Saturday of March. Last year I did a post on the history of the Iditarod. If you're interested, you can read that post here.
This will be my 6th year following the Iditarod. It is so much fun! The first year I did it was for school. My mom had my siblings and I do it. I'll admit, I thought it sounded pretty boring to follow a sled dog race. Well, I was definitely wrong! I had so much fun and I've been following the Iditarod each year since then!
Each year I always choose a couple of mushers to follow throughout the race. I check and see how they're doing through the race and everything. The Iditarod usually lasts about 11 days for everybody to finish, but the winner usually only takes about 8 days.
If you've never heard of the Iditarod or have never followed it I highly recommend that you do! To learn more about the Iditarod you can visit their website here.



2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to following this year as well!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you're looking forward to the Iditarod too! :D

      Delete