Friday, November 17, 2017

Author Interview // Faith Potts

I've been wanting to do an author interview with Faith ever since she published her first book in June of this year. I finally got around to coming up with the questions and asking her and she said yes. I hope you enjoy the interview!

Faith Potts is a teenage writer, living with her family and beloved yellow labs in the southeastern US. When she's not writing stories, consuming large amounts of coffee, reading books, or creating pottery, she can be found laughing harder than is healthy, daydreaming, and – of course – blowing dandelions. Faith blogs over at Stories by Firefly and Chosen Vessels.






1. When did you first become interested in writing?
I first became interested in writing in the late summer/fall of 2014. So yeah, over three years! :D

2. How did you become interested in writing?
Through a short-story contest, centered around my favorite book series. Mrs. Susan Marlow from the Circle C Adventure blog was hosting her second short-story contest and I, a new fan of the books, decided to give it a shot. I wrote two stories for the contest – which led to several other finished and unfinished fanfiction stories. By the winter/spring of 2015, I was coming up with my own characters and plots to write.

3. Is there any specific authors/books that have inspired you?
Well, Mrs. Marlow, obviously! ;) Others would include Sarah Sundin for her amazing WWII fiction and Joanne Bischof for her beautiful writing style.

4. What is the hardest part of writing for you? (character development, story line, etc.)
For me, I think it depends on the story. In historical settings, for example, I want to be sure I get everything right so that it's true to the time period. I'm not sure that would be considered a part of writing, but it does play a factor. Other than that, I think my character development could use some work.

5. What’s the easiest part?
Coming up with the story idea. Hashing out the characters relations (families, siblings, etc.). Planning the (usually) happy ending. If I'm really 'into the story', then the writing part is pretty easy too. :)

6. Do you have a favorite time period that you like your stories to be set in?
Ooo, that's tough! This time last year I would have easily said WWII/the 1940s. But I've written two books in contemporary settings since then, so...maybe it's a tie between those too. ;)

7. Are you currently working on a book? If so, when do you hope it will be done?
I'm going to give a kind of 'yes and no' answer here because, when I think of working on a book, the actual writing is what comes to mind. In that regard, no, I'm not currently working on anything. But if we're talking about anything pertaining to the bettering of a book, then yes! I'm currently editing my WWII historical fiction novel. I'm hoping to release it next summer/fall if all goes according to plan. :)

8. What was your favorite scene to write in Dandelion Dust?
I like this question. *wink* But I'm honestly not capable of picking one scene. The part where Drew and Charity pray in the hospital room (end of chapter 6) is right there at the top though. It almost sounds silly given how many times I've read it, but it gives me feels. <3 The haircut scene is another favorite. I really enjoyed bringing out the characters' joking and snarky sides during that. ;)


You should definitely check out Faith's books, Dandelion Dust. It is very good and definitely a book I'd recommend!
You can go here to purchase it.

About the Book:
Like a speck of dandelion dust riding the tides of a prairie wind, life is fleeting. Though I never realized just how fragile it was until that day . . .

Charity always had a dream. It was simple, really. Find a guy, fall in love, and get married.
The day she met Ryder, Charity knew he was the man God had chosen for her. But she never expected their relationship to be tested and tried through the fires of a freak accident. Suddenly, her world is thrown into chaos, and the bleak, white walls and sterile smells of a city hospital fill every spare minute. And then there comes the dreaded news. It was likely Ryder would never make it out of the hospital bed.
As her carefully laid plans for the future come crashing down around her and the sun seems to set on her dreams, can Charity still find hope in the dark of night?

Like a dandelion, life is beautiful. But treasure every moment. . . for one day, the flower will be gone.


Thanks so much for doing this, Faith! :)


4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me, Rebekah! This was fun. :D I'm so glad you like DD so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks so much for doing it, Faith!! :D You really wrote a wonderful book that is now one of my favorites!!

      Delete
  2. Great post!! Thanks for commenting on my blog <3 out of curiosity, how'd you find my blog? Yours is lovely- i followed!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paige!
      I found your blog through Natasha from Simple Things blog. You had left a comment on one of the posts that I was commenting on and so I clicked on your name and fond your blog! Thank you so much! :)

      Delete