Saturday, April 7, 2018

Movie Recommendations // Christian Films

I've done several book recommendation posts before and I really love doing them, but today I decided to do something a bit different and do some movie recommendations. I've done movie recommendations before around Christmas time, but I thought it would be fun to do some other movies as well. I'm going to break it up into different categories like I do for the book recommendations. Today I'm recommending Christian movies.

So here's 6 of my favorites!

Henry Myers lives a hard life. Getting through life on the frontier however he can… even if it means robbing a bank. After his latest heist goes wrong and his partners betray him  and leave him for dead, Henry is surprised to find extraordinary kindness from a widow and her children. With the influence of this family, Henry begins to question the choices he’s made in his life. Just when things begin to make sense again, it’s all ripped away from him when his old partners show up. Will he seek the revenge he desires or finally find his redemption?

I heard about this movie quite a while before it actually came out. I thought it looked like a good movie and was waiting for the day it would come out. When it came out and my family and I watched it, it became a new favorite of mine! It's so good and I love the theme of redemption. This is a movie that I have watched several times.


Soul Surfer is the inspiring true story of teen surfer Bethany Hamilton, who lost her arm in a shark attack and courageously overcame all odds to become a champion again, through her sheer determination and unwavering faith. In the wake of this life-changing event that took her arm and nearly her life, Bethany’s feisty determination and steadfast beliefs spur her toward an adventurous comeback that gives her the grit to turn her loss into a gift for others.

Soul Surfer is a great movie based on the true story of Bethany Hamilton. Since this is a surfing movie there is a lot of beach attire, but during surf competitions the girls do wear shirts instead of their usual bikinis, but because of the beach attire this movie may not be for everyone.


All Allyson and her friends want is a peaceful, grown-up evening of dinner and conversation…a long needed moms’ night out. But in order to enjoy high heels, adult conversation and food not served in a paper bag, they need their husbands to watch the kids for three hours—what could go wrong?

Mom's Night Out is such a fun movie! I watched the trailer for this one a couple months before it came out and I thought it looked great. I wasn't sure if it would be one of those movies where they put all the funny stuff in the trailer and then the movie ends up not being quite as good. Well, that wasn't the case. This movie was super fun and I was actually laughing out loud in the theatre while watching it, and that really never happens.


The city—and all of its negative influences—is all these kids have ever known…and they think of it as their friend. Now Rey, Korina, Marcus, and Anthony must face the toughest decision of their lives. Is the hope of redemption enough to lure them away from the streets?

Set Apart has been a movie that I've liked for several years. It might not be the best for younger viewers because of some of the gang related stuff, but it's a great movie.




The leading mercenary for the British East India Company, Will Reynolds, has just been double crossed and now is on the run in the American colonies. Working to redeem his name and win back the affections of Charlotte, with whom he’s never been fully truthful, Will now hides behind a new mask in hopes of thwarting his former employer. As his past life closes in on him, Will must somehow gain the trust and the help of his beloved Charlotte—as well as Ben Franklin—while he races against time to defuse a plot of historical proportions!

I went and saw this movie in the theatre with some of my family and some friends. I wasn't too sure if I'd like it or not, but I ended up really liking it.


The inspiring and unknown true story behind MercyMe's beloved, chart topping song that brings ultimate hope to so many is a gripping reminder of the power of true forgiveness.

This was another movie that I wasn't sure how much I would like it. I ended up loving it as well. I loved the themes of forgiveness and about chasing your dreams. This movie was really inspiring to me and it will be definitely one I'll buy once it comes out.


Have you seen any of these movies before? What's your favorite Christian film?
I plan to do more recommendations including favorite TV shows and Hallmark movies so be on the lookout. ;)


18 comments:

  1. Nice post Rebekah! I agree some of these movie are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James! Only some of these movies are good? No, all of them are. ;) ;)

      Delete
  2. Liked this post! It is so hard to find good movies to watch! Especially for the whole family...
    I've watched Set Apart and thought it was good.
    But Moms Night Out is the best!!! I've watch it so many times and can quote like half the movie!!
    I really like series so my favorites are Road to Avonlea, Five Mile Creek, and the A-team! Have you watched any of those?
    I watched the trailer for Beyond the Mask. Do you think this is a good one to watch?
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Brooklyne! =) It is hard to find good family movies!
      Set Apart is good. It’s been a little while since I last saw it so I'd like to watch it again sometime.
      Moms’ Night Out is super good! Same here! I’ve watched it so many time and it seems like my brothers and I are always quoting it. ;D
      Series are a lot of fun! I’ve only seen a couple Five Mile Creek episodes, but I really enjoyed them and would like to watch more sometime. I had actually sort of forgotten about them until you mentioned it. ;) I’ve seen quite a few episodes of the A-team as well. =) I’ve never watched Road to Avonlea. I should check it out sometime.
      Yes, Beyond the Mask is really good! It is full of action and suspense, with a little bit of romance too. :)

      Delete
    2. Five Mile Creek was really good, but I didn't care for how they ended it.
      The A-team is awesome! Love the theme song and Murdoch is so funny! But it is kind of unrealistic. B.A. Is funny too!
      I would definitely recommend Road to Avonlea! It is very clean and has great characters.
      I will have to watch Beyond the Mask;-)

      Delete
    3. I only saw the first few episodes of Five Mile Creek, but I enjoyed what I saw. Oh that's too bad. Good shows need good endings. ;)
      The A-team is pretty funny, but yes, it can definitely be a bit unrealistic as well. ;)
      Okay! I will look into that series!
      I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
    4. I Love Road to Avonlea too! Its so good!!

      Delete
  3. Fun post, Rebekah! I really we enjoyed Soul Surfer but yes, the beach attire is a little much!
    Moms Night Out is a fun one too!! I should really watch Beyond The Mask! I think someone I know of was an extra or helped with the movie!
    I really wanted to watch Old Fashuoned sometime! Have you seen it?
    And thanks for a post idea;D haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! Soul Surfer is great, but yes, all the beach attire can make it a little harder to watch with everyone.
      Yes, you should definitely watch Beyond the Mask, it’s really good. :) Oh, that’s cool!
      I have seen Old Fashioned. Actually I never did finish it. I thought it wasn’t that good and it was a bit boring, but then there was this inappropriate part so I didn’t finish it.
      Haha, you’re welcome. ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh really?! Thanks for letting me know. I watched the Trailer and it didn't seem good so I'm going to pass on that one;D

      Delete
    3. Yes, you’re welcome. It really isn’t a very good movie.

      Delete
  4. I love The Redemption of Henry Myers, I Can Only Imagine, and Beyond the Mask!! :D I want to see Soul Surfer and Mom's Night Out. Set Apart looks good too!! :)
    Fun recs, Rebekah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those ones are so good! I really think you’d like both Soul Surfer and Moms’ Night Out. :D Yes, Set Apart is great. ;)
      Thanks, Faith!

      Delete
  5. Love the post! I love Beyond The Mask and Soul Surfers but I don't think I saw any of those other movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I also want to see Mom's Night Out sometime sometime. My Mom saw it with her sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. =) Beyond the Mask and Soul Surfer are great movies!
      Moms' Night Out is a great and funny movie. Hopefully you get to watch it soon. :)
      Thanks for commenting, Naomi! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi were June and Jose! We just found your blog and it is really good! We saw I can only imagine in theaters, and it was amazing.Now that's one of our favorite Christian movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you guys. :) I Can Only Imagine was such a great movie! I can’t wait to see it again! That’s cool that it’s your favorite Christian movie, it’s a new favorite for me too.
      Thanks for commenting, June and Jose!

      Delete